• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Guitar Players and Builders Thread

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
It cost $2500.00, and only comes in that color. This isn't the first signature Gibson he's had either. Maybe Epiphone will do one too.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member

Mr. Daystar

I like the concept of Signature Models, unless it gets as ridiculous as the stash of Slash's Gibson models.

Look at the NINETEEN models he got there! I ask myself: Where is number 20???

https://guitar-compare.com/signature-models/slash/
But his are Les Paul's, and a double neck. The LP's can be had by both Gibson, and Epiphone, and the latter is over a grand less, AND I've heard more then one player talk about swapping hardware and an Epiphone is just as good, sometimes better. I personally couldn't tell you for sure. What I can tell you is this. Eddie Van Halens earliest sig. model of Frankenstein was going for 20k. The Jimmy Page limited edition ESD1275 double neck was going for well over 10k, and a stock model goes for about 6k. The Felder dbl neck was going for around 8k, the Lifeson about the same. The Framton sig. LP was going for around 6k, and the Gibson reissue '59, attached to no artist is going for 6k too. I know they rake you over the coals with these sig. models, but a bigger part of it, is the name. You pay extra for the name "Les Paul", and when you attach an artists name to ANY model, it cost a lot more. Fender does it too, PRS has a couple of big names, including Carlos Santana. Now Kirk Hammit has signed a deal with Gibson, and it's supposedly going to include LP's, V's, and Explorer's. How much to you think those are gonna cost a guy?!?!

I have an inexpensive LP copy. It's made from mahogany, and has a mahogany set neck, with a truss rod that works. I bought a set of DeMarzio's to put on it, but have yet to do so. It's a nice guitar, no fret buzz, set up decent. My only issue is, it has 2 vol., and 1 tone, instead of a standard LP 2x2 set up. We talked about this when you were shopping for your guitar, and our perma banned buddy Jack Davenport was talking about his guitars. I was thinking of installing them out of phase, I run it through a very nice, but inexpensive ($350 on sale) Line 6 Spider, it has 1-12" speaker, solid state 75watt, and a decent amount of built in effects, that I can amuse myself with. My Bass on the other hand, is very nice. A Schecter Stiletto Custom, It has 2 EMG active humbuckers,, with blend controls, and I run it through a Fender 300 watt, 1-15" bass amp.

Like this, only a 6 bolt, bolt on neck, and it's vampire red satin finish.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/STST4SBS--schecter-stiletto-studio-4-see-thru-black-satin

Slash selections.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...aul-standard-electric-guitar-vermillion-burst

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...aul-standard-vermillion-burst-limited-edition

It occurs to me AFTER I made this post, your issues wasn't cost, it was quantity. I nave no explanations for that. I do know he had some with BC Rich before Gibson, like Hammet has with ESP. I don't know if ESP lost Kirk, or if they both get him. Hetfield still has sig models there...which aren't cheap either.

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

Here's one for you Sup. These guitars are amazing, and expensive, and quite frankly, the most beautiful, UGLY things I have ever seen. You have to appreciate the craftsmanship, and it's beauty....but they're SO GAUDY. These things are in the 3k/4k range, and you can see why, but for Gods sake, maybe ONE normal shape. They remind me of someone that took an Alembic, and pimped it out.

Here you go, lots of clickable things here, so poke around.
https://www.minarikguitars.com/

And it occurs to me, You Might not be hip to Alembic. They started from the Grateful Dead, in some fashion. I think it had to do with the guy that was Jerry's tech. Regardless, if you know who John Entwhistle of "The Who", Jason Newsted, Stanley Clarke, and one or two more, you have seen an Alembic. Alembics are one of the most beautiful, amazing instruments produced., and are individually hand made, only after ordered. Here's their site....just so you can dream. some run into TEN'S of thousands. Their order form clearly states, for a double neck, double the price. If I ever hit the lotto, I'm hitting up Alembic for a double neck, Bass on the bottom, 12 string on top, something like Mike Rutherford played.
on Newsted, Stanley Clarke, and one or two more, you have seen an Alembic. Alembics are one of the most beautiful, amazing instruments produced., and are individually hand made, only after ordered. Here's their site....just so you can dream. some run into TEN'S of thousands. Their order form clearly states, for a double neck, double the price. If I ever hit the lotto, I'm hitting up Alembic for a double neck, Bass on the bottom, 12 string on top, something like Mike Rutherford played.
n the bottom, 12 string on top, something like Mike Rutherford played. on Newsted, Stanley Clarke, and one or two more, you have seen an Alembic. Alembics are one of the most beautiful, amazing instruments produced., and are individually hand made, only after ordered. Here's their site....just so you can dream. some run into TEN'S of thousands. Their order form clearly states, for a double neck, double the price. If I ever hit the lotto, I'm hitting up Alembic for a double neck, Bass on the bottom, 12 string on top, something like Mike Rutherford played.

I couldn't get a secure connection, to enter a link. If you go to google, and enter Alembic guitars, it pops right up. They are so beautiful, you can't look away.

Last edited:

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Here's one for you Sup. These guitars are amazing, and expensive, and quite frankly, the most beautiful, UGLY things I have ever seen. You have to appreciate the craftsmanship, and it's beauty....but they're SO GAUDY. These things are in the 3k/4k range, and you can see why, but for Gods sake, maybe ONE normal shape. They remind me of someone that took an Alembic, and pimped it out.

Here you go, lots of clickable things here, so poke around.
https://www.minarikguitars.com/

And it occurs to me, You Might not be hip to Alembic.
The first link, wow, those are some crazy shapes, but, hey, sporting an instrument like thaat makes you stand out even more than just your perfformance. As you say, that is a dream to have.

Alembics, yes, I know theese - mainly basses - and have watched and listened to a lot of Stainley Clarke performances. Thick, thumpy sound, with a lot of definition. And the looks are beautiful, too.

Do you know the band Level 42? They were quite big some years ago. The frontman, singer and bass player, plays Alembic, tto, his signature model, of course. Here is him showing how he gets his bass going pop pop pop

Mr. Daystar

I wish I had the talent to craft guitars like those. I wonder how many years of apprenticeship one must do, to be trusted to create without close supervision. I was thinking of buying a kit guitar, and making some mods to it. I was going to buy the standard double neck kit, and see if I can get a Fender bass neck on the bottom, and keep the 12 up top. I would have to plug all the routing on the lower half, and reroute for pick ups, and re-drill for the bridge I just need to get more info, before I plunk down cash.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Here in Germany, and generally in the other european countries, the concept of handymen works like this:

3 years as an apprentice, which can be cut short to two, if you are really great in the field you are learning. I was an apprentice as a painter and laquerer, and went through those three years, then made my test to get my craftsmensdegree.

It's the sme as a carpenter. If you want to take it to the next level, the master craftsman, that's another three years, but while you get pad as an apprentice, you now have to pay for the master school.

But after you take the test, successfully, you will be able to build guitars like that, or fine pieces of furniture. Of course, you have to specialize on your desired field. But that s a path many master carpenters go.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Looking at articles or youtube videos about previously owned or custom instrument is a hard thing to do, if you are in a financially status like most of usa.

Of course, we can hope. I pülay the lottewry from time to time, the "Eiuro Jackpot", which goes up to 90 Million Euros from time to time. You'll get teh one you wish for, when I hit it :)

I am going to order personally designed custom guitars from Fender, Gibson, and PRS. Basses and AMPS, too, I think, but trhe Amps from MESABoogie, and some others, don't know yet.

Probably something like these:

Mr. Daystar

I got 2 words for you buddy

Hi Watt

I just thought it was sort of insulting that someone actually thinks because he played the 1200.00 guitar, it's now worth an extra 48 grand. I'm amazed they want that much for a 59 reissue, just because Slash played it. For me, I really only want one custom, and that's a 12/4 double neck, bass on the bottom, and honestly, if Alembic would make one for me in a reasonable shape, I would chose them, but honestly, the best looking double out there, for my taste, is still the Gibson EDS1275. But all of their standard basses on a double neck are short scale, and I want 34". Of course we did say lotto wil, so as we both know, it doesn't really matter where you are from, money talks, so I would be able to find it somewhere.

I'm still looking at these kits. As you are very aware already, all that really matters is the body is a good tone wood, and the neck has a good, functioning truss rod. All the rest of the hardware can be switched and swapped to your liking. So considering how many people, including Fender make necks, there has to be a way. As I dig deeper, I'm thinking of trying out my idea on a single neck first, definitely a bass. I love Fender P-basses, but I want a humbucker in back, not 2 single coils, so it might be a good chance to practice the wood working part, on a less expensive project first. I've never really been a Strat cat, but their basses are the sound that defined classic rock, and while Les Paul invented the electric guitar, it was Leo Fender that invented the electric bass. I also know if I buy a $300 fender bass neck, it's going to be a very good neck, with a good truss rod.

Sorry for all of the Russian novels, I just get a little hyped on this subject.

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Yes, I am in some Facebook kit builder groups, and DAMN some guys make awesome ones. And as you state, the key are a good body and a good neck, and hard work and a bit of imagination to decide and add the exact shape, and the laquer, or other finish. I think I would build a telecaster variation.

In that Telecaster Builder group, I get hyped up quite a bit. My problem is, I am a bit handicapped regarding my hands, so I would need assistance

Edit:

Just found this video, I think I could do this. This kit costs ~100 dollars!

Last edited:

Mr. Daystar

I like the Tele shape, but I would have to do a Strat neck, because the Tele head stock is fugly, and a hard tail bridge, with a couple of humbuckers. Although if your thing is old school country, or blues, the way they come, is going to give you that twangy sound you can only get from a Telecaster. As far as a finish goes, I would love to do some kind of very deep, glossy black cherry burst, but it'll be easier to go all black, including hardware, and head stock, w/ebony fret board. or natural finish, with black pick guard, pick ups, etc, and a maple neck.
Your a mod, if you can move these posts, we should start a instrument thread, so we quit clogging up everyone else's posts....or at least not interfere with Dino's inevitable silliness. :D

Supafly

Retired Morgenmuffel
Bronze Member
Hi Guys,

this is getting started with moved in posts from all over in other thread, where they take them off topic.

Do feel very free to share your experiences etc.

Mr. Daystar

Thanks Sup. Now I can stop taking other treads off on a tangent.. But we should also encourage any and all musicians to discuss their weapon of choice too. It's always good to have a solid drummer, or keyboard player around. And lets not forget the band nerds....my wife played clarinet in high school band.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
Does the saxophone in junior high count? I play a mean air guitar.

Mr. Daystar

Yes it does. Do you have any desire to go buy some fresh reeds, and give it a shot again? You should. The world could use another Charlie Parker. I bought my wife some clarinet reeds, and she got bored, I was so disappointed. I was looking forward to hearing her jam.

I hope you didn't get ripped off by Gene Simmons, and buy one of those over priced Kiss air guitars. Just because it comes with a case, doesn't mean it's a good deal.

Mr. Daystar

I used to be a roadie for a local band my friends had. I had a blast, got paid in beer most of the time, sometimes we got some coin out of it. I used to be able to fit all of our stuff, into a Ford Econoline maxi van. And we had a nice sound system, keyboards, a couple of guitars and a bassist. And that fuckers had one of those big ass Fender bassman 8x10 cabinets, the guitar players had Fender twin reverbs....you know how fucking heavy a little 2x12 combo amp can be!? Towards the end, we had enough stuff that some of the smaller stuff would go with someone in their car, usually guitars, for safety sake.